MBLL Junior All-Stars Go Into Extra Innings in World Series Quest
Aug 13, 2015 08:45PM
● By DigMB Staff
Dylan Dennis on the mound. The youngster had an impressive post-season run.
That one run instead made a team from Pearl City, Hawaii, the 2-1 victor and West Regional Tournament champion, sending the Hawaiians to the World Series in Taylor, Michigan, which begins Sunday (August 16).
For the MBLL 13- and 14-year olds, Hawaii's 10th inning score on a hit to right field, scoring a runner from second base, ended an incredible postseason that saw the team give up only 30 runs while scoring 170.
In the West Regional Tournament, the MBLL team scored 56 runs and only gave up six, going 4-2 in the tourney. In contrast, Pearl City scored 64 runs and gave up 10, but went undefeated in the tournament.
Both teams got off to a good start in the tournament championship game, scoring one run each in the first inning. After that, it was all shutout ball until Pearl City managed to score with two outs in the bottom of the 10th after a batter walked and then stole second base.
"I tip my hat to that (Manhattan Beach) team," said Norman "Junior" Maldonado, the Pearl City manager.
"Awesome game. It's a shame someone had to lose," Maldonado said. "Two winners in my eyes."
The MBLL Juniors had runners on base in every inning, with the team's solo run coming when Chase Ozawa was hit by a pitch and then scored on a two-out single by Merrick Baldo. Pearl City's first run was scored by a batter who got to first base on a walk.
MBLL's Dylan Dennis started the game, allowing just four hits in 6⅔ innings. With the potential go-ahead run at second base in the bottom of the 7th (regulation play is 7 innings), Evan Voss pitched the final out, remaining on the mound for the rest of the game.
Junior All-Stars are 13- and 14-year olds from Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach Little Leagues. The MBLL Jr. All-Star roster is
- Merrick Baldo
- Nick Carpino
- Dylan Dennis
- Matt Devico
- Jake Gordon
- Jared Karros
- Colin Livingston
- Tommy McMahon
- Chase Meidroth
- Chasen Ozawa
- James Park
- Everett Smith
- Cooper Sutherland
- Evan Voss
Last year's MBLL Jr. All-Stars made it to the Little League World Series in Taylor, Michigan.
- Related: Two MB Teams in Little League Playoffs
- Related: Solo Home Run Lifts Team to Victory
- Related: MB Little League Senior All-Stars Record Another Win; Make Finals Play Tonight
- Related: MB Senior Little League Team Wins Thriller
- Related: Photo Tribute to MB Senior Little League All Stars
- Related: Jr. League Baseball Team to Play in World Series
- Related: World Series Game Schedule for MB/HB Baseball All Stars
- Related: MB/HB Junior Little Leaguers Win 1st Game in World Series
- Related: MB/HB Youth Baseball Team Takes 2nd World Series Victory
- Related: Texas Overtakes MB/HB Junior Baseball Team in World Series Play
- Related: MB/HB Boys Trounce East Team in World Series Baseball
- Related: MB/HB Boys Miss World Series Finals by One Game