Photo Tribute to MB Senior Little League All Stars
Aug 06, 2014 02:13PM, Published by DigMB Staff, Categories: Sports & Rec
The 2014 Manhattan Beach Junior League All Stars went undefeated in post-season play until the Hawaiian team above staged a tremendous come-back win in the final inning of the West Region championship game.
Gallery: 2014 Senior League All Stars [11 Images] Click any image to expand.
The team went 12-0 until the loss to Hawaii and became the third MB Senior team in four years to be the West Region championship runner-up.
Here are some fun statistics, courtesy of Greg Schwartz, prior to the game Tuesday night.
- 12 wins - 0 losses
- 128 runs scored while only 21 runs allowed
- Rollie Nichols - 19 innings pitched - 4 wins - 1.1 ERA - 21 strike outs
- Matt Baserra - 9 innings pitched - 2 wins - 0.0 ERA - 18 strike outs (usually the closer)
- Nathan Draves - 18 innings pitched - 3 wins - 0.0 ERA - 15 strike outs
- Team ERA .718, allowed only 8 earned runs with 87 strike outs in 78 innings
- Ben Laduke - highest batting average at .706 and .773 on base percentage
- Jason Schwartz - leads team with 17 hits, most singles with 14, 2nd most doubles with 3, 3rd in RBIs with 11, 2nd in batting with a .567 average, 3rd in runs scored with 13 and 2nd highest on base percentage at .675
- David Arredondo leads team with 15 RBIs
- Reese Alexaides - leads team with most runs scored at 15 and has the only home run (hitting it over 425 feet) and leads team with 3 triples
- Team is batting .370 with a .502 on base %, 134 hits in 12 games
- Ty Conrad been a dominant catcher - thrown out 7 of the 13 runners stealing while picking off 3 runners on base
- Dom Devico had 12 stellar digs at 1st base for outs
- Team has turned 9 double plays, fielding percentage of 934, has 32 out of the 78 innings that went 1-2-3 out innings
- MB started late but finished with 5 runs on 9 hits in a come-from-behind win 5-2, capturing the top seed in bracket B
- Led by hitting from Reese Alexaides (2 hits, 2 RBIs, scored 1 run), Ben Laduke (2 hits, 1 RBI, scored a run) and a clutch game-tying, go-ahead double by Jason Schwartz (1 for 2, walk, 2 RBIs)
- Top of the 4th down 2-0, Laduke singled to center field scoring Ty Conrad who singled on a bunt pulling them to 2-1. Jason Schwartz singled to right field on a 2-2 count with 2 outs scoring both Laduke and Carson Phillips to take the lead for good 3-2.
- Reese Alexaides capped off the scoring with a 2-run home run blast over 425 feet
- It was a team pitching effort, using 5 pitchers only giving up 4 hits
- Were down 4-0 going into the bottom of the 4th when David Arredondo doubled (1 of his 2 hits) to the center field wall followed by a line drive single to left field by Ty Conrad. Finally on the board.
- Jake Symon pitched a great 4-5-6 innings, facing 15 batters
- Then Ben Laduke walked, Jason Schwartz lined a double to left scoring pinch runner Joey Hanson, speedster Schwartz went on to score from 2nd base on Reese Alexaides single to left ,bringing them within one at 4-3 and helping to change the momentum
- Things looked up until the top of the 7th when Upland scored twice on a line drive to right making it 6-3
- With Upland only needing 3 outs to end the game, MB rallied. Ben Laduke and Dom Devico both singled and Jason Schwartz walked to load the bases. Reese Alexiades (2nd hit of game) and Matt Bessera both singled to left making the game 6-5. David Arredondo then singled in the tyng run to push the game to extra innings.
- Game remained tied until the bottom of the 9th when Rollie Nichols walked, stole second and with 2 outs, David Arredondo hit a towering walk off pop fly, quick thinking Rollie Nichols took off from second and crossed home as the ball dropped between the 3rd baseman, catcher and pitcher just in fair territory, just in front of home plate, winning the game.
- Matt Bessera got the win pitching 2.1 shut-out innings, striking out 3 of the 12 batters he faced while giving up no walks and no hits.
- MB finished with 7 runs on 9 hits.
|Manhattan Beach Senior All Star Team||2014|
|Socal North Section 4||MB||Opponent||MB|
|Tuesday, July 8, 14||Lennox||8||1||Win|
|Thursday, July 10, 14||Lennox||16||4||Win|
|Santa Monica in bracket but we did not play them|
|Socal North Sub Division 3||MB||Opponent||MB|
|Wednesday, July 16, 14||La Mirada||2||1||Win|
|Thursday, July 17, 14||Sunset||7||4||Win|
|Saturday, July 19, 14||LA||10||0||Win|
|Pacific Coast & Tehachapi in bracket but we did not play them|
|Socal Division 3||MB||Opponent||Mb|
|Friday, July 25, 14||Spring Valley||12||2||Win|
|Saturday, July 26, 14||Spring Valley||15||0||Win|
|Tuesday, July 29, 14||Montana||23||0||Win|
|Thursday, July 31, 14||Oregon||11||1||Win|
|Friday, August 1, 14||Nevada||12||0||Win|
|Sunday, August 3, 14||Norcal||5||2||Win|
|Monday, August 4, 14||Upland||7||6||Win|
|Tuesday, August 5, 14||Hawaii/Norcal|
|Arizona & Washington opposite bracket did not play|
Players on the 2014 Manhattan Beach Senior All Star team are
- Ben Laduke
- Carson Phillips
- Colton Sizemore
- David Arredondo
- Dom Devico
- Hugh Quattlebaum
- Jake Symon
- James Tullio
- Jason Schwartz
- Joey Hanson
- Kohl Titzler
- Matt Bessera
- Nathan Draves
- Nick Brown
- Reese Alexiades
- Rollie Nichols
- Ty Conrad
- Manager: Hugh Quattlebaum
- Coach: Aaron Myers
- Coach: Carlos Rojas