Junior Lifeguard Programs to Return in Manhattan Beach, L.A. CountyMar 16, 2021 03:20PM ● By Jeanne Fratello
- Session 1: Monday, June 21 – Friday, July 16, 2021
- Session 2: Monday, July 19 – Friday, August 13, 2021
Classes are every day, Monday thru Friday. There are two classes per day:
- Morning (AM) class (8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- Afternoon (PM) class (1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.).
- Reducing the student-to-instructor ratio of 20:1 which will allow for 3,100 program participants, compared to previous pre-pandemic programs which allowed for up to 4,300 participants with a 30:1 ratio.
- Requiring and enforcing instructors and students to wear face coverings at all times, except during swimming and eating/drinking.
- Maintaining physical distancing of a minimum of six feet as well reminding participants on best practices to prevent infection and promote proper hygiene.
- Performing health and temperature screenings of instructors and participants at the start of each day.
All returning Junior Lifeguards, or those who successfully completed the
2019 program and previously registered for Summer 2020, are eligible to
participate in the Summer 2021 program and will not have to re-test.
Returning participants can expect to receive an e-mail from the Junior Lifeguard Program to begin registration today, March 16. The e-mail will include a link and access code unique to their child. Note that this registration is NOT first come, first served. Parents will have the entire window to use this system to accept or decline a student’s enrollment.
New Junior Lifeguard applications will be available through the Junior Lifeguard website, starting Thursday, April 1, 2021. The department will also be conducting outreach in untapped Los Angeles County communities that have been underrepresented in the past.
For questions, see the FAQs on the Junior Lifeguard page. Parents may also contact the LACoFD Lifeguard Division Junior Lifeguard administration at (310) 939-7214 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.