Manhattan Beach to Re-Open Tennis, Paddleball, and Pickleball
May 16, 2020 11:27PM
By Jeanne Fratello
New Restrictions in Place
Guidelines in accordance with L.A. County’s re-opening protocols for play, modified hours, personal health and safety requirements are listed on the city’s website at www.citymb.info/tennis.
In addition to being open for singles play only, the new restrictions include the following:
- Reservations will be for 50 minutes to allow plenty of time for players to vacate before the next reservation arrives;
- Players may reserve a maximum of 1 - one hour reservation per day;
- Players should arrive no more than ten minutes prior to their reservation time;
- Players should check in to the office upon arrival;
- Players should bring their own water and hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes to wash hands frequently;
- No equipment is to be shared between players;
- Each player will bring their own tennis balls and racquet to play with;
- Players will only serve and touch their own tennis balls;
- When another player’s ball needs to be returned to them, it will be rolled or hit to them with a racquet, without touching the ball in any way, a historical common practice;
- Each player will mark their balls with clear and unique markings;
- At no time will any player need to touch or hold another player’s tennis balls;
- Players are encouraged to not switch ends while playing. If switching does take place, then cross over on the opposite sides of the court;
- Players are asked to leave the facility immediately after play with no congregating;
- Modifications to existing reservations may be adjusted up to 2 hours prior to the scheduled reservation time; and
- No lessons permitted.
The city will continue to monitor and evaluate the conduct and behavior of players, their willingness to exhibit safe practices, and COVID-19 coronavirus trends in the community. The city may adjust openings and closures based on such information.
For questions regarding court reservations or for more information, contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (310) 802-5448.