Skip to main content

DigMB

City Withdraws Proposal to Limit Construction

Apr 10, 2020 04:56PM ● By Jeanne Fratello
The Manhattan Beach City Council has withdrawn a proposal to limit construction to five days per week.

The proposal would have limited all construction - residential, commercial, public projects, and school district projects - to five days per week (down from six). This would have meant closing down construction on Monday or Saturday.

When Councilmember Nancy Hersman introduced the idea at Monday's City Council meeting, she said that reducing construction on one day of the week could be helpful for those who are now working and doing school work from home by minimizing noise and distractions. 

But a large number of comments received by City Council appear to have swung in the other direction.

In particular, there had been a large organizing effort on behalf of parents and students who did not want to see the construction on the Mira Costa High School gym experience delays and cost overruns.

"Clearly we have heard from our community," said Hersman at the meeting. "While they were concerned about construction early on, this doesn’t seem to be a concern now."

Social Distancing Citations, Crime Reports


In other actions, Manhattan Beach City Manager Bruce Moe reported that the city issued 21 citations this week, bringing the total to 150. Additionally, two construction sites were cited and shut down for violations.

Manhattan Beach Police Chief Derrick Abell reported that crimes are down in all categories. Nevertheless, he warned residents against becoming complacent. 

"The crime of choice right now is vehicle burglaries," he said. "The ability to get into someone's car that has not been locked continues to be an issue. Please lock your cars - harden the target."

Stay-At-Home Order Extended

Meanwhile, Los Angeles County has extended its stay-at-home order through at least May 15.

The stay-at-home order also requires essential businesses to provide a cloth face covering for all of their employees to wear while performing duties that involve contact with other employees and or the public and to post their physical distancing plans. The public is also required to wear a face covering to enter essential businesses. Essential businesses will have until April 15 to implement these measures.

As of April 10, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is reporting 8,430 total cases of COVID-19 coronavirus and 241 deaths to date.


Subscribe to DigMB Emails * Don't Miss a Thing, Sign Up Today!

* indicates required
Email Format
Upcoming Events Near You

No Events in the next 21 days.

Subscribe to DigMB Emails * Don't Miss a Thing, Sign Up Today!

* indicates required
Email Format