Residents Told to Stay Home; 6 Cases Reported In Manhattan Beach
Mar 20, 2020 10:02AM
● By Jeanne Fratello
“These measures are important steps to ‘flatten the curve’ and
preserve the health of our community. The city strongly encourages
residents and visitors to comply with these public safety measures," said Mayor Montgomery in a statement. "The
best way to be a good neighbor right now is to stay in your house and
limit your exposure in the public."
This newest order reflects an escalating response to COVID-19 that is based on data available to health professionals. It is expected that additional orders and limitations will be announced.
Pier, Park, Field Closures
Non-Essential Construction Halted
- Residential and non-residential construction activity is prohibited for the duration of the state of local emergency;
- Essential maintenance and repair of properties, such as gardening or plumbing leaks, may continue to occur; and
- Construction projects for critical infrastructure, such as utilities and communications, may also continue to occur.
- Manhattan Beach restaurants are adapting with takeout and grocery service.
- Most grocery stores have added an early shopping hour for seniors.
- As of Friday, GROW The Produce Shop is limiting the number of shoppers in its store at one time to ten people. "I put 10 carts at the doors tonight. When they are gone please wait for a cart to come outside before you enter," wrote GROW owner Barry Fisher to his customers.
- Several local vendors who would normally sell through the Manhattan Beach Farmers Market are now offering delivery in Manhattan Beach. Check with Kepner Farms (@kepnerfarms on Instagram) for sustainably raised chicken, pork, lamb, and eggs from pasture-raised chickens. Also Tammie's Muffins (@tammiesmuffins on Instagram) is making local deliveries.
- Many yoga and exercise studios are offering online classes through YouTube or online meetups - check with your favorite studio for more information.
- Whale of a Wash is now offering pickup and delivery of laundry and fluff-n-fold services. Text 310-349-6404 to arrange a pickup.
- pages, a bookstore is continuing to fulfill online and phone orders. Orders will include a free "pages" coffee mug while supplies last. Orders can be shipped, or picked up at the outside pickup window.