Casino Night to Support School Gun Violence Prevention Program
Sep 23, 2019 10:53PM
● By Jeanne Fratello
- Know the Signs Program - teaches students to recognize signs of people who are at risk of hurting themselves or others;
- S.O.S. - Signs of Suicide Prevention Program - training for students and adults about warning signs and ways to intervene before violence or self harm occurs;
- Say Something - training for students on how to recognize signs especially on social media, of an individual who may be a threat to themselves or others;
- Safety Assessment and Intervention - training for schools and community organizations on how to identify, assess and respond to threatening behaviors before they escalate to violence;
- Start With Hello - teaches children to be socially inclusive.
Mira Costa would choose which program or programs they want to implement, said Pettis. The school's H.E.A.R.T. Club (Helping Educate Acts of Respect Together), which has addressed bullying issues, would most likely carry out the program.
The Manhattan Beach Community Church, an inclusive Christian church, has a long history in the South Bay. It was founded in 1906 and originally located at 9th and Highland Ave. (now a private residence). The church moved to its current location on Peck Ave., just north of Mira Costa and just south of Pennekamp Elementary School, in 1963.
Sandy Hook Promise is a national non-profit organization founded and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012. It aims to create a culture engaged in preventing shootings, violence, and other harmful acts in schools.