Holiday Open House and Pier Lighting Returns
Nov 13, 2018 09:45AM
By Jeanne Fratello
Twenty-four years and going strong... the traditional Holiday Open House and Pier Lighting in downtown Manhattan Beach promises to be more festive than ever this year.
The event, produced by the Downtown Manhattan Beach Business and Professionals Association, begins at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 14, with Santa's arrival at Metlox Plaza.
From 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. the downtown merchants will offer treats, drinks, and seasonal specials. Look for carolers and reindeer to brighten the way.
At 6:00 p.m. the Manhattan Beach MIddle School and Mira Costa High School choirs will perform. At 7:00 the city will hold the traditional lighting of the Manhattan Beach Pier.
Special attractions this year include:
- Live holiday trees lining the pier, leading to the newly remodeled Roundhouse Marine Studies Lab and Aquarium.
- A special pink flower art installation at Metlox Plaza, and an opportunity to meet the artist, Virginia Vilchis, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Veggie stamping, face painting, kettle corn, music from Jack Tracy Ukelele, and balloons by The Soozi Show, brought to you by the Manhattan Beach Farmers Market in the Santa area at Metlox.
- A toy drive hosted by the P.S. I Love You Foundation for at-risk kids in the L.A. area. Bring new, unwrapped toys and drop them off at the toy drive station at the corner of Manhattan Beach Blvd. and Manhattan Ave.
- Trilogy Spa will once again turn Metlox Plaza into a winter wonderland with "snow" falling from above.
- Shade Hotel will be passing out grilled cheese and hot cocoa.
- Gum Tree will be serving appetizers and mock-tails from Gum Tree Cafe, as well as music from singer/songwriter Lisa Ritchie. Ten percent of all sales will be donated to the American Red Cross.
- homie Manhattan Beach will be passing out sangria and collecting entries for a $25 homie gift card giveaway. All retail items will be 10 percent off.
- Manhattan Denim will be featuring live music with the band The Lucky Ones.
- 23rd St. Jewelers will offer special holiday pricing (and an opportunity to put together your holiday wish list) for their last Holiday Open House. (The store is closing and will just have their original location in Santa Monica.)