Top 5 Things To Do Sunday, August 23
Aug 23, 2015 09:38AM
By DigMB Staff
Kerri Walsh Jennings stretches for the ball playing against a German team in the ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball in Long Beach.
As summer for Manhattan Beachers winds down and students get ready to head back to school this Wednesday, here are five fun things to do today.
- Head downtown for the annual Sidewalk Sale. Even if you don't find anything you want (but, seriously, does that ever happen?!), simply walking our quaint downtown sidewalks with the expansive ocean vistas, beach sand, and Manhattan Beach Pier beckoning, will do your soul good. Here's a look at some of the merchants with super sale items, so you ca plan your attack: Prices Slashed at Downtown Manhattan Beach Merchants During Sidewalk Sale.
- Food. Who doesn't need some sustenance on a Sunday, perhaps even more so after attending last night's White Light White Night gala! And Doma Kitchen is coming to the rescue with a Hangover Brunch in celebration of White Light White Night. Special dishes just for the occasion include a White Light White Night Belgian Waffle (paired with King Harbor Brewery's Abel Brown Coffee Brown Ale, if you'd like), a special Mimosa Flight, and Summer Sangria. Doma's full menu is available until 3 p.m. today. Brunch starts at 10 a.m.
- If you live or work in Manhattan Beach, submitting an application for the city police department's Community Police Academy is a M-U-S-T! Not only does MBPD treat you like a star during the 10-week program, you gain invaluable exposure to the inner workings of our police department and gain a fuller appreciation for what law enforcement does. As a graduate of the Academy, I can vouch for its value. Enrollment is limited so just complete your app and turn it in, ASAP! Details: Manhattan Beach Community Police Academy Accepting Applications.
- Dip your feet in the ocean! Yes, go ahead and go barefoot on the sand and get your feet wet in the ocean.
- Support MBer and beach volleyball player extraordinaire Kerri Walsh Jennings today as she and partner April Ross play for the ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball championship in Long Beach on Alamitos Beach. The duo is defending their title from last year and play Brazilians Talita Antunes/Larissa Francaat at 11:30 a.m. If you can't be there, you can watch the game live on Web TV. Sunday’s finals will be the 91st-time that the Brazilian and American women have played for a FIVB World Tour title since the start of the gender’s international competition in 1992. The gold medal winning teams will share the $57,000 first-place prizes in the fourth of five Grand Slam events on the 2015 FIVB World Tour calendar.