Recipe: Fishing With Dynamite's Key Lime Pie
Aug 11, 2015 10:46AM
By DigMB Staff
FISHING WITH DYNAMITE’S KEY LIME PIE
Cook time: 1 hour, plus cooling and chilling times.
Makes 8 servings
Graham cracker crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, from about 11 whole crackers
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
Scant 1/2 cup sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small saucepan, and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press dough into each of eight (4-inch) tart shells.
3. Bake crusts until set and lightly colored, about 6 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
Key lime filling
1/2 cup Key lime (the same as Mexican lime) juice
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into very small cubes, at room temperature
Prepared pie crusts
1. Whisk together Key lime juice, sugar and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, until mixture thickens to a custard, about 8 minutes. Be careful to scrape sides and bottom of pan while cooking so mixture doesn’t curdle on edges. Remove from heat.
2. Strain custard into a bowl, then cover surface with plastic wrap and set aside to cool. When custard comes to room temperature, add butter, one tablespoon at a time, and use a hand blender to blend mixture until it is silky smooth. Divide filling among prepared crusts and refrigerate until set, 4 to 6 hours.