Recipe: Fishing With Dynamite's Key Lime Pie
Aug 11, 2015 10:46AM ● Published by DigMB Staff
FISHING WITH DYNAMITE’S KEY LIME PIE
Cook time: 1 hour, plus cooling and chilling times.
Makes 8 servings
Graham cracker crust
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Scant 1/2 cup sugar
5 ounces graham cracker crumbs, from about 11 whole crackers
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small saucepan, and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press dough into each of eight (4-inch) tart shells.
3. Bake crusts until set and lightly colored, about 6 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
Key lime filling
1/2 cup Key lime (the same as Mexican lime) juice
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into very small cubes, at room temperature
Prepared pie crusts
1. Whisk together Key lime juice, sugar and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, until mixture thickens to a custard, about 8 minutes. Be careful to scrape sides and bottom of pan while cooking so mixture doesn’t curdle on edges. Remove from heat.
2. Strain custard into a bowl, then cover surface with plastic wrap and set aside to cool. When custard comes to room temperature, add butter and use a hand blender to blend mixture until it is silky smooth. Divide filling among prepared crusts and refrigerate until set, 4 to 6 hours.
Nutritional information per serving: 635 calories, 6 grams protein, 71 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 38 grams fat, 23 grams saturated fat, 161 milligrams cholesterol, 60 grams sugar, 149 grams sodium.
This recipe has appeared on Tasting Table and in the Los Angeles Times.