Manhattan Beach Open Tennis Begins FridayJul 16, 2015 08:46AM ● By Dig Mb Staff
Andrew Dome and champion Lester Cook meet on center court after their championship play in the MB Open Tennis Tournament last year. Cook won the Men's Open Singles Division.
Nearly 150 players begin their quest Friday (July 17) to make it to finals competition Sunday at the prestigious Manhattan Country Club, the end game of the city's Manhattan Beach Open Tennis Tournament, according to Matthew Morrow, recreation supervisor with the city's Parks and Recreation Department.
Top seeds in the tournament, which offers singles and doubles competition and is in its 48th year, include
- Jayson Amos - #21 in Southern California Men’s Open Play and a starter at the University of Oregon
- Andrew Mashhadi – Top 50 in Southern California Men’s Open Play
- Alexander “Sasha” Solonin - #49 in Southern California Men’s Open Play
- Wyatt Houghton – Senior player at UC Berkley who was Top 10 in junior play
- Ryan Brown - #84 Boys 18 in SoCal
- Toby Crabel - #1 ranked 5.0 singles player in SoCal
Morrow told DigMB the tournament has registered 88 singles players and 29 doubles teams. Thirty-five of the players live in Manhattan Beach. Players are 16 and older, and divisions include Men's and Women's Open Singles, doubles divisions and amateurs.
All divisions winners receive trophies and prizes in the single-elimination, best-of-three sets tourney.
Spectators for Sunday's matches can check in at the Manhattan Country Club's west side, near the Village Field parking lot, for a wristband.