Around Town: The 4 Bs--Badminton, Bodyboarding, Baseball, Basketball
Apr 18, 2015 09:41AM
● By DigMB Staff
As always, there's a lot going on in Manhattan Beach. Here are five things to know about:
- Badminton players from all over the U.S. are in Manhattan Beach this weekend for the U.S. Adult National Championships, being held for the first time at the MB Badminton Club through Sunday. Local players are among those competing for national titles in the prestigious event.
- Professional bodyboarders are catching the surf near the pier in Manhattan Beach today (Saturday, April 18) during the Bodyboarder International Association Pro/Am Tour. Locals and pros are expected to compete.
- Congratulations to Mira Costa High School sophomore Allie Navarette and senior Keilani Ikehara who made the Daily Breeze newspaper's all-area teams in girls basketball. Allie was named to the first team with Keilani's play earning her a second team slot.
- The Special Olympics World Games will be in Los Angeles is less than 100 days! Manhattan Beach is one of several Host Towns that will provide lodging, meals and activities for international athletes who will be competing in the Games. Stay tuned to DigMB for more details and articles as the Games approach!
- Today is the first of two weekends of "Marquee Days" for Manhattan Beach Little League. Marquee Days schedules games, which typically are strewn throughout the city at a variety of fields, so that players, fans and coaches can watch teams in their division play. Today, the Majors Division games are predominantly scheduled for play at Marine East or Marine Center over the course of the day. Next Saturday, the International Division will have its turn. Today's Majors games are set for 2, 4:30 and 7 p.m. The days also promise fun food with Rita’s selling Italian ices for $1 and Fresh Brothers Pizza selling pizza for $1 a slice. Rita's and Fresh Brothers, both MB Youth Athletics sponsors, will donate their proceeds to MBLL. In addition, gently used baseball clothing and equipment can be brought already bagged to Marquee Days between 12 noon and 6 p.m. today and Saturday, April 25. The items will be donated to disadvantaged youth. "Play ball!"
- Oh, yeah, there's a sidewalk sale downtown, too! (See Downtown Manhattan Beach Merchants Offer Sidewalk Sale Now Through Sunday)