Around Town: Kindergarten Enrollment, Hotel Renovation, Cheer Clinic, Mentor Mixer
Jan 14, 2015 11:57AM
● By DigMB Staff
As always, there's a lot going on in Manhattan Beach. Here are five things to look into:
- Adults only are invited to attend a Kindergarten Information Day for the Manhattan Beach Unified School District on Saturday, Jan. 24 from 9:30-11 a.m. at Pacific Elementary School. RSVPs can be sent to Tracie Held to email@example.com. MBUSD's superintendent, elementary principals, teachers and parents will discuss and answer questions on: what makes public education so successful in Manhattan Beach, MBUSD programs and a child’s transition into elementary school. The meeting will offer "important dates for registration and orientation," and attendees will be able to join "a ‘break-out’ session for Transitional Kindergarten for parents of students who are born between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2, 2010," according to a notice on the school district's website. Kindergarten pre-enrollment for the 2015-2016 academic year begins February 9.
- A Cheer Clinic will be held at Mira Costa High School on Monday, Jan. 19. First through 5th graders can attend the basketball team cheer squad cheer clinic on Monday, Jan. 19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the MCHS cafeteria. Participants will also have a special performance with the Costa cheerleaders at the varsity basketball game on Friday, Jan. 23. The cost is $70 per child. Register online via the MBX Foundation.
- The results of the Urban Land Institute's work visit to downtown Manhattan Beach will be presented at a free public event Friday, Jan. 16 from 9-11:30 a.m. at the Joslyn Community Center. City Council approved hiring ULI to assess the downtown area and its future. The group held a public meeting Monday night and interviewed 100 local stakeholders Tuesday.
- Visitors to Manhattan Beach who choose to stay at the Residence Inn on Sepulveda Boulevard will experience the hotel's newly completed 18-month renovation, according to a press release. The project, which included the redesign and upgrade of all 176 guest rooms, also involved the renovation of meeting rooms, the clubhouse, gym, sports court and pool.
- Walk With Sally, which pairs a mentor whose life has been impacted by cancer with a child going through a similar experience, will hold its Second Annual Mentor Month Mixer at The Rockefeller Manhattan Beach will take place on Wednesday, Jan. 28. The evening will include beer, wine, and bites along with mixing and mingling with some of the organization's "awesome mentors," according to an online post. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
MB Voices downtown downtown manhattan beach mira costa high school manhattan beach unified school district downtown manhattan beach business and professional association Urban Land Institute cheer clinic mbx foundation kindergarten information day transitional kindergarten kindergarten Pacific Elementary School walk with sally mentor cancer cheerleaders residence inn hotel renovation mentor mixer national mentor month