Coyote Sightings Prompt Advisory
Sep 24, 2014 09:05AM ● Published by DigMB Staff
Coyotes have been seen in the Tree Section.
A coyote was reportedly seen near 19th Street and Pine Avenue around 11:30 p.m. on Friday, September 19; another one was seen shortly after that in the 500 block of 31st Street with a cat in its mouth. Police responding to each call did not locate a coyote but a deceased cat was found the next day in Sand Dune Park, she said.
The Department of Fish and Wildlife notes the following:
- Mere presence of a wildlife species does not in itself constitute a threat.
- Coyotes are protected under Fish and Game codes and cannot be relocated except by a licensed trapper.
- Coyotes may be euthanized by law enforcement only if the animal poses an imminent threat.
- Coyotes cannot be trapped except by a licensed trapper.
- Stay away and bring pets indoors.
- Make loud noises.
MBPD issued an advisory about the sightings on Nixle. To sign up to receive Nixle cell phone text alerts from MBPD, text the number 888777 (in the "To" field) and the zip code 90266 (in the message field).